Our family tree is filled with love

Well, happy new year!!  I can't believe that I haven't written a post yet this year.  Just goes to show how damn busy it's been. I had a pretty full on last two weeks at work, but my boss will be back next week, and most people will be at work, so it will hopefully start settling down a little.

How cute are the little ornaments in my picture?!  Well I love them.  I bought them for myself just after Christmas while I was still up at the coast, because I LOVE the colours and the content.  They are made by Blossom Bucket Inc if you are interested.

You may or may not be aware that I have been researching my family tree for the last few years. I have had an absolute ball and found out that on just about every branch of my tree, I am a 5 or 6th generation Australian! 

For Christmas I was given an Ancestry.com.au annual membership.  So far I have only spent one and a bit days on it (I think the first full day wore me out), but there are some interesting things on there.  I have heard that the UK census of 1841 is really thorough and helpful, and it really really is. I can't explain the excitement when I find one of my old ancestors on one of those records.  I am still looking into it, but I am quite intrigued by the open member trees... some of which I have been able to go back to the 1200's.  I am really not sure whether it is legit, but if it's for real, I have earls and lords and ladies from Scotland way up up high in my tree. :)  It's also a bit of a spin out as I have been reading Ken Follett's World Without End which is the follow on from Pillars.  It's set in the Middle Ages England.... I just hope my ancestors didn't carry on like that!!

If you are in Australia and you just want to have some fun. They are starting to digitise some of the old news papers.  You can go to Trove on the National Library website and search for your grandparents and their parents names and find all sorts of interesting things (usually it's tragic deaths/accidents but I have also found school results and lots of death and marriage announcements).

Anyway, I'm going to sign off. Enjoy your weekend!

Comments