Rag quilt experiment

I've always loved the look of rag quilts, but I never knew what they were called.  My clever aunty told me what they were called and we did some Internet research and found that actually they aren't that hard.  So I went and bought some fabric and thought I would have a go at making one (on a small scale) to see how I go.  There is LOTS of cutting involved in making one of these things, but at the same time they are fun, quick and effective.

There are heaps of great instructions on the Internet about how to make them (I found YouTube to be especially good).  The other great tip for making one of these is to get spring loaded scissors to save your hands with the cutting process.

I have only washed this one once (they say the more the better to bring out the ragginess).  But I am still finding little bits of thread all around my house and clothes (from the washing machine). 

The other thing I did with this one (which I don't think I would do again), is I used wadding.  This made it a bit trickier and I think it's too bulky for it's size.

It is a small one, probably a little to big for a cot quilt, but good to put down for a baby to lay on (that's where padding does come in handy).

The reverse has one solid colour.  You can do it like this, or have patterned squares on both sides.


I am very excited - today I am going to a wedding of a lovely friend.

Take care

Comments