Dr Seuss soft baby blocks

I've always been slightly obsessed with Dr Seuss. I think part of the reason is his clever rhymes and the funny words he makes up. 

I bought a fabric alphabet cot sampler when I was pregnant as I was going to make Zara a cot quilt, but my aunty made me the loveliest Dr Seuss baby blanket that I received at the baby shower, so I decided to cut it up and use it for something else.

I met some pretty awesome people in my birth classes and new mothers classes, so I decided to make soft baby blocks with tags for each of Zara's baby friends for their first Christmas.


I had one side of the square but needed an additional five sides. I decided to buy some additional hat in the cat fabric for two of the sides, and then bought some red, bubbly minky fabric for another two sides. Then I machine embroidered names for the final side.


Basically every time Zara had a day sleep, I would go sit in front of the sewing machine and put together a block or two. 


I found some cute Dr Seuss ribbon to make tags. I also ended up buying some little shakers to put inside them all - so that they made a little sound when rattled.


All in all, I think they turned out quite sweet.


And most of the families said their little ones enjoyed playing with them.  I know Zara enjoyed hers for a while too, then as she got older she'd identify it had her letter (Z) on it, then she'd read her name. 


It was a mammoth job... 17 blocks in all!!


Would I do it again? Probably not that number, but I'd make them again if I had the materials because they do make lovely gifts.


Comments