My new camera and spring has sprung!

Well, I finally did it. I've been wanting to get one for a really long time (even before digital), but they've been out of my price range.  I decided this year, if I got a good tax refund, I would go and buy myself a Digital SLR camera. I was so happy when I came out of the tax agent, I went straight to the stores to look!

Of course I did a stack of research online first, and I came to the conclusion that I wanted to give the Nikon D5100 a go.  It had heaps of cool features that I am sure any professional photographer would probably cringe at, but for someone like me who is most definitely an amateur and just wanting to have a bit of fun and take some cool shots, it seemed like the perfect choice.  I've had 4 Canon cameras in my time, so I figure I could spread my spending around!

I ended up getting it from JB Hi Fi, and the bonus was that I got a carry bag and spare battery - which I think it so necessary, especially when travelling as there is nothing worse that the battery dying and knowing you can't take another photo until you find somewhere to charge.

The top photo I took is of the beautiful cherry blossom in our front yard. Every spring it looks spectacular when the blossoms come out. There is something really cool about having a pink tree in your front yard.  Of course it doesn't last for long, 'cause those pink flowers turn into dark red leaves and cherries.... then they fall on the ground and get walked into the house which no one likes!
These are some left over leaves from autumn/winter.  It's lucky I captured this, 'cause last weekend my sister and brother in law came over and did an amazing job on our garden.  He has every garden tool you could imagine, and so there wasn't a leaf left, or a blade of grass out of place!
Ah, lavender... I love it, my sister hates it.  It reminds me of a country cottage which is the look I am after for my little place.  The added bonus is that they grow like weeds at my place, so it's a win win really.  If you're interested in cross stitch, I finished off a lovely lavender cross stitch just a few weeks back.
I think dandelions really are weeds, but I do have a bit of an obsession with them, and I LOVE finding them whole and undamaged like this one.  I've just looked it up, and I did a post on them in November last year (Playing with dandelions) if you are interested!  I can't believe how much my little niece has grown!

This is a pot of succulents we have on our back step.  I've always thought they looked quite ugly, but amazingly I really quite like this photo!  Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. 

I am also hopeful that the photo quality of my crafts will improve, as I have been a quite unhappy with that for a while.

Anyway, I'm off tomorrow on a trip up to Queensland. I really can't wait - it's been a while since I went on a holiday.  While most other Aussies are taking advantage of our good dollar and heading overseas, we have decided to go to Qld.  When I get back it will be time for Floriade - on of my most favourite Canberra festivals and another opportunity to take photos of pretty things.

We haven't heard from any friends yet, but you guys know that you're always welcome to stay with us if you do want to come to the flower show!


Comments